My Photo
Name:
Location: Montgomery Area, Alabama, United States

Former BUFF driver; self-styled military historian; paid (a lot) to write about beating plowshares into swords; NOT Foamy the Squirrel, contrary to all appearances. Wesleyan Jihadi Name: Sibling Railgun of Reasoned Discourse

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Lexicological Aside



My recent postings on "diversity" and the French have inevitably led me to many internet references to "gay," "queer," "effeminate," "limp-wristed," "light-in-the-loafers," "fudge-packers," "gerbil-meisters," and so on. I myself have posted on the subject in the past.

Since I always endeavor only to please my reading audience (both of you) and never, never offend, I feel it's only right to correct myself: the term "gay" is no longer acceptable according to authoritative sources. You see, "gay" is a term coined by male homosexuals to (ironically) refer to themselves, and is resented by lesbians, the transgendered, and many others in this somewhat confused but very diverse crowd. In the interest of political correctness, I hereby offer a profound and heartfelt apology to my vast legions of gay and lesbian readers: henceforth, you shall not be known as "gay," but by the more correct and inclusive term:

GLBTQC

Pronounced "glib-tick" (appropriately enough), and standing for "gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning, or just confused." The term is coming into common usage and is leading to heightened multi-gender awareness around the English-speaking world.

Take, for instance, the recent decision to expand the popular book series, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, with new volumes aimed at the GLBTQC community: Lesbians Are from the Trans-Plutonian Planet Velcro and, of course, Gay Men Are from Uranus.

Solidarity, brothers and .....uh .... sisters .... er ..... or ... whatever you are!

Monk

<< Home